Facebook Pixel

Establishing CA Residency

Master of Public Policy (MPP)

If your are not a California resident, you can establish residency by the second year of the program if you follow the appropriate guidelines. Becoming a California resident will save you approximately $13,000 in out-of-state fees your second year. You must be a US citizen or a permanent resident, or a student holding an eligible visa. For more information, visit the UC Berkeley Office of the Registrar.

To be classified as a resident, a student must have 1) relinquished his/her prior residence and 2) been physically present and established residence in California for more than one year immediately preceding the residence determination date. A few examples of indicators of intent are:

  • Remaining in California when school is not in session
  • Registering to vote and voting in California elections
  • Designating California as permanent address on all school and employment records
  • Obtaining a California Driver’s License within ten (10) days of arriving in California
  • Obtaining a motor vehicle registration within twenty (20) days of arriving in California
  • Establishing and maintaining active bank accounts in California banks and closing out-of-state account

For more information please contact the Office Of the Registrar, Residence Affairs at (510) 642-1614 or consult the residency section of their website.