Facebook Pixel

Admissions Blog

Posts from August 2014

Basic Admissions Requirements

Letters of Recommendation

At least three letters of recommendation are required by the application deadlineWe cannot guarantee that Letters of Recommendation received after the application deadline will be reviewed with your application.

Who should I ask to be my recommenders?

The most helpful letters or recommendation are from persons who have supervised the applicant’s work in either an academic, employment or community service capacity, and who can evaluate the applicant’s intellectual ability, creativity, initiative, leadership potential, and promise in the field of public policy analysis and management.

How do recommenders submit their letters?

Electronically. Once you have started the on-line application, the instructions for how to submit letters of recommendation can be found in the main menu under “Recommendations.”

Can I submit more than three letters of recommendation?

Yes, you may submit up to four letters of recommendation. The online application provides space for more than four letters, however the admissions committee will only review up to four.

Can a recommender submit a letter of recommendation in a language other than English?

No, letters that are not written in English need to be translated into English. You can use an ATA certified translator for letters of recommendation or any other translation service (http://www.atanet.org/). 

Applicants may waive the right to inspect their letters of recommendation on a voluntary basis. To waive access to your letters, complete the waiver section of the Letter of Recommendation. The Graduate Division may verify the authenticity of academic letters of recommendation with the school or recommender. Read more about letters of recommendation requirements at the Graduate Division.


Live: September 2, 2014

The application for the Goldman School of Public Policy will open on Tuesday, September 2, 2014 at 12pm (PDT). You will be able to access the application online through the Graduate Division.

Basic Admissions Requirements

Standardized Tests

All applicants are required to take the GRE General Test. International applicants: GRE test dates are offered less frequently abroad. Spots fill up quickly. REGISTER FOR A TEST DATE EARLY!



GRE scores dated before June 2010 are no longer valid. To ensure you meet the application deadline, you should take the GRE no later than November 10, 2014. 

Institution code: 4833. You do not need to list a department code. 

Deadline: Official GRE scores are due the same day the application is due, December 2, 2014. There are fields on the application for applicants to submit self-report GRE scores. These will serve as placeholders until we receive the official scores from ETS.


All applicants are required to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test. The LSAT and GMAT cannot be substituted for the GRE.


Who is required to take the TOEFL? All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL and IELTS tests taken before June 2013 will not be accepted. 

Institution code: 4833


Establishing California Residency

If your are not a California resident, you can establish residency by the second year of the program if you follow the appropriate guidelines. Becoming a California resident will save you approximately $13,000 in out-of-state fees! The following resources provide more information about establishing California residency:

  • At the Office of the Registrar, you can find information about:
    • How residency is determined
    • How to Complete the Statement of Legal Residence/Applying for Residency
    • How to establish Residency for Tuition Purposes
    • 10 Things Graduates Need to Know about California Residence for Purposes of Tuition and Fees
    • How to fulfill Physical Presence and Intent
    • How to fulfill Financial Independence
    • Residency Calendar/Deadlines
    • Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Exemptions/Waivers
    • How to maintain California Residency during a Temporary Absence
    • What if I am not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
    • Inquiries and Appeals
    • Legal Residence Information
    • FAQs
    • Contact Residence

Financial Support

Academic Student Employment, Summer Policy Internship, & Advanced Policy Analysis

Fellowships and financial aid are just one way our students afford GSPP. There are also plenty of opportunities to secure financial support once you are enrolled: