Facebook Pixel

Admissions Blog

Student Profile

Wyatt Donnelly-Landolt, MPP '15

Name: Wyatt Donnelly-Landolt

Year: Second

Policy Area of Concentration: Education, Children, Social mobility

GSPP Graduation Year: 2015

Undergraduate School: Stonehill College

Personal History: I am from Red Hook, NY, a couple hours north of NYC. During college, I considered about every major and career path. I landed in psychology and considered getting a PhD until my senior year when I decided I did not enjoy academic research. I joined Teach for America, where I taught High School Physics in Oklahoma City.

What attracted you to GSPP? I liked GSPP because of the excellent faculty and commitment to a strong community.

Read more

LIVE: Goldman School of Public Policy Application

The MPP application for the Goldman School of Public Policy is now live! The deadline for the application and supplemental materials is Tuesday, December 2, 2014, 11:59PM PST.

For more information about the application process, please see the Graduate Division. Any technical support questions should be directed to gradadm@berkeley.edu, or follow the Graduate Division on Twitter.

Questions about application requirements? Contact us at gsppadm@socrates.berkeley.edu.


Basic Admissions Requirements

Letters of Recommendation

At least three letters of recommendation are required by the application deadlineWe cannot guarantee that Letters of Recommendation received after the application deadline will be reviewed with your application.

Who should I ask to be my recommenders?

The most helpful letters or recommendation are from persons who have supervised the applicant’s work in either an academic, employment or community service capacity, and who can evaluate the applicant’s intellectual ability, creativity, initiative, leadership potential, and promise in the field of public policy analysis and management.

How do recommenders submit their letters?

Electronically. Once you have started the on-line application, the instructions for how to submit letters of recommendation can be found in the main menu under “Recommendations.”

Can I submit more than three letters of recommendation?

Yes, you may submit up to four letters of recommendation. The online application provides space for more than four letters, however the admissions committee will only review up to four.

Can a recommender submit a letter of recommendation in a language other than English?

No, letters that are not written in English need to be translated into English. You can use an ATA certified translator for letters of recommendation or any other translation service (http://www.atanet.org/). 

Applicants may waive the right to inspect their letters of recommendation on a voluntary basis. To waive access to your letters, complete the waiver section of the Letter of Recommendation. The Graduate Division may verify the authenticity of academic letters of recommendation with the school or recommender. Read more about letters of recommendation requirements at the Graduate Division.


Live: September 2, 2014

The application for the Goldman School of Public Policy will open on Tuesday, September 2, 2014 at 12pm (PDT). You will be able to access the application online through the Graduate Division.

Basic Admissions Requirements

Standardized Tests

All applicants are required to take the GRE General Test. International applicants: GRE test dates are offered less frequently abroad. Spots fill up quickly. REGISTER FOR A TEST DATE EARLY!



GRE scores dated before June 2010 are no longer valid. To ensure you meet the application deadline, you should take the GRE no later than November 10, 2014. 

Institution code: 4833. You do not need to list a department code. 

Deadline: Official GRE scores are due the same day the application is due, December 2, 2014. There are fields on the application for applicants to submit self-report GRE scores. These will serve as placeholders until we receive the official scores from ETS.


All applicants are required to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test. The LSAT and GMAT cannot be substituted for the GRE.


Who is required to take the TOEFL? All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL and IELTS tests taken before June 2013 will not be accepted. 

Institution code: 4833


Establishing California Residency

If your are not a California resident, you can establish residency by the second year of the program if you follow the appropriate guidelines. Becoming a California resident will save you approximately $13,000 in out-of-state fees! The following resources provide more information about establishing California residency:

  • At the Office of the Registrar, you can find information about:
    • How residency is determined
    • How to Complete the Statement of Legal Residence/Applying for Residency
    • How to establish Residency for Tuition Purposes
    • 10 Things Graduates Need to Know about California Residence for Purposes of Tuition and Fees
    • How to fulfill Physical Presence and Intent
    • How to fulfill Financial Independence
    • Residency Calendar/Deadlines
    • Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Exemptions/Waivers
    • How to maintain California Residency during a Temporary Absence
    • What if I am not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
    • Inquiries and Appeals
    • Legal Residence Information
    • FAQs
    • Contact Residence

Financial Support

Academic Student Employment, Summer Policy Internship, & Advanced Policy Analysis

Fellowships and financial aid are just one way our students afford GSPP. There are also plenty of opportunities to secure financial support once you are enrolled:

Financial Support

Tuition, Fellowships, & Financial Aid

Financial support can be a major consideration when applying to graduate school. Below you will find resources about affording your education, including tuition, fellowships, and financial aid. 

Basic Admissions Requirements

Required Transcripts

Please note, Graduate Admissions requires applicants to upload unofficial transcripts or academic records (name of school must appear on transcript) for the initial review of their application. For those that accept the offer of admission, they will be required to provide official transcripts or academic records. Please refrain from sending official, sealed hard copies of your transcripts until you receive an offer of admission from the Graduate Division.

Read on for information about:

  • Study abroad transcripts
  • Transcripts from past UC Berkeley students
  • PPIA transcripts
  • Transcripts required of international applicants

Read more

Basic Admissions Requirements: International Students

Do I need to take the TOEFL?

Evidence of English Language Proficiency

All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit official evidence of English language proficiency. This requirement applies to applicants from Bangladesh, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East,  Israel, the People’s Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, most European countries, and non-English-speaking countries in Africa.

If you have completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better in residence at a recognized U.S. institution, you do not need to take a standardized test. Instead, you must upload an unofficial transcript from the recognized U.S. institution.

To qualify for a TOEFL exemption you must:

  • Have a basic degree from a recognized institution in a country where the official language is English.
  • Have completed a basic or advanced degree at an institution, in the United States or abroad, where the language of instruction is English and the institution is accredited by one of the United States’ regional accrediting agencies.
  • Have completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with a grade B or better at a regionally accredited institution within the United States.

Please see the Graduate Divison to learn more about TOEFL requirements and qualifying for an exemption.