Goldman School of Public Policy - University of California, Berkeley

Financing Your Education

Master of Public Affairs (MPA)

The responsibility of financing the Berkeley MPA program usually rests primarily with the student. Therefore, we strongly suggest that applicants investigate all available financing options. We have gathered all of the information we have on funding sources on this page, although it is certainly not exhaustive and applicants are encouraged to conduct their own research. International students should explore funding opportunities in their home countries.

Students may obtain needed funds through government or corporate sponsorships, from government or private loans, or from personal resources.

Federal Student Loans and Scholarships

MPA applicants who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens (see below) may be eligible for a Federal Stafford (Direct) Unsubsidized Loan or Graduate PLUS Loan to help cover program costs.

  • As of this writing, non-citizens eligible to apply for federal loans are: permanent U.S. residents; conditional permanent U.S. residents (I-551C); and holders of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security with designation of "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parolee", "Victim of human trafficking," T-Visa holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.) or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."
  • Because the MPA program spans two fiscal years, applicants should apply for financial aid for two academic years, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019.​
  • Applicants are strongly encouraged to file both FAFSA applications before the start of the program.

Please consult these links for more information: 

Federal Aid Information

UC Berkeley Resources


Aid for International Students

International students are encouraged to see the Berkeley International Office Financial Aid page, and to take advantage of the resources it provides, and the following searchable library and web resources:

  • eduPass - a useful guide for international students, including information on scholarships, loans, and finding funding through organizations
  • - a site providing links to sources of financial aid and information on finding funding through your own country or organizations in the U.S.
  • International Student Organization (ISO) - a detailed list of organizations that provide scholarships and grants to students of various backgrounds and areas of interest

Following is a partial list of funding opportunities. This list is for informational purposes and does not imply any connection with, or endorsement by, the Goldman School of Public Policy.