Updated October 8, 2009
Code of Conduct
The GSPP On-Line Alumni Directory (defined as “Directory”) is a service provided by the Goldman School of Public Policy (defined as “GSPP”) at the University of California, Berkeley, to facilitate communication among individual members of the Goldman School’s alumni community defined as “users” (including alumni, students, faculty and staff), and between such users and GSPP.
Access to the directory is strictly limited to alumni, current students, faculty and staff of GSPP.
Unauthorized use of the Directory include, but are not limited to:
- activities that are illegal or fraudulent;
- use that inaccurately implies endorsement, approval, or sponsorship by the Goldman School of Public Policy or UC Berkeley (or any individual officer of the University);
- use that can be confused with official communications of GSPP or its officers;
- personal mass mailings of any size beyond 10 recipients;
- activities that violate other users' privacy, such as transferring membership access to the system or releasing personal information about others, such as name, address, or phone number;
- activities that further commercial or other personal financial gain; or
- harassment of any individual.
GSPP reserves the right to deny access to the Directory. GSPP will deny access to the secure portion of this website to those who violate the above standards or other applicable policies in these or similar practices. Users of the Directory who misuse information and communication services may be restricted from using the Directory permanently, and they could face legal action for failure to abide by these policies and procedures. Please contact us for feedback or to report violations of this code of conduct. GSPP is not responsible for the content of e-mail lists and will not routinely monitor content.
Cause for such termination of Directory services shall include, but not be limited to:
- breaches or violations of the Directory policies and related university policies;
- requests by users for self-initiated account deletions;
- discontinuance or modification to Directory services; and
- technical or security issues or problems.
Users will ordinarily receive a single warning about behavior that violates the Code of Conduct and policies governing the Directory. The warning will cite the specific behavior or behaviors that violate the policy, invite the user to respond, and explain that rights to any and all services of the Directory will be terminated if the cited behavior is repeated.
When a user’s Directory service is terminated, GSPP will:
- notify the holder of the account via an e-mail that their access to the Directory is being terminated; and
- terminate the access to the Directory services.
Use of the Directory service is also governed by the following policies:
- UC Berkeley IT Policies
- University of California Electronic Communications Policy
The GSPP On-Line Alumni Directory exists to help current and future alumni maintain their connection to one another, and to help the University maintain its lifelong relationship with its alumni. The secure areas of the community are accessible only to members of the GSPP community as follows: GSPP alumni, current GSPP students, GSPP Faculty, and GSPP Staff. The information contained in secure areas of the Web site are only to be used by GSPP to contact members for official GSPP business and for individual, non-commercial communication between members listed herein. Use of this data for any other purpose, including, but not limited to, reproduction and storing in a retrieval system by any means or using the addresses or other information contained in this directory for direct mailing of more than 10 people is strictly prohibited. GSPP can and may deny access to any user of the community who misuses the information contained herein. GSPP has taken reasonable precautions to secure the personal information available through the online alumni directory. The online alumni directory is located on a secure Web site that incorporates the latest encryption technology. Although these precautions should protect any personal information available through the online alumni directory from abuse or outside interference, a certain degree of privacy risk is faced any time information is shared over the Internet. This functionality is available to you once you login to the Directory.
Individuals also have the right to withhold their information entirely from the online alumni directory. Individuals who decline Directory Policies have not opted out of the Directory until they notify GSPP in writing. Until they notify GSPP, their name and basic information will appear in the Directory.